Saturday, March 29, 2008

Memories

There is a new church website now to help with our geneology research and it's addictive. Josh came home after a training and told me all about it, so I finally pulled out all my stuff (after a VERY long time) and decided to try it out. Josh reminded me to always do a search of a family member because someone already may have done the work. I thought to myself "Yeah right, I'm the only member and probably none of the work is done" Wrong. About 3 generations back as I typed in a name to search, Bam!, The work is all done for several of my family members. I had goosebumps all over and tears even came to my eyes knowing that all of this was finished for these family members that I thought were probably just waiting on me...All of this has been full on my mind lately as the time approaches that we can have my brother baptised. April 10 will be 1 year and I'm so excited to go to the temple with the youth on May 2nd. (I finally ordered my own whites too!)



So Kierra got me thinking after her post, About all the things I miss, Especially about the family members that have gone before me. And since Spring/Summer are my favorites seasons and include most of these memories, here we go. I think about my Grandpa Hayden (alabama) daily and all the things he taught me, I miss fishing at the lake house. Getting up at 5 a.m. eating fruit loops and then going fishing with him at the pond, where we might have to beat the occasional snake with our fishing poles. (he did, I was little) Then we would stop at the "chat and chew" for a bite to eat and a "slug" (drink). He taught me how to count money when I worked at the flea market with him on weekends. I miss the makeshift slip and slide made out of a roll of rubber matting,1/2 inch thick, Best slip and slide ever created! And Grandpa didn't seem to mind that it killed the grass. I love when Darcy puts on her pink hat and say "Mom, when is it going to be warm enough to go fishing?" She's already making her memories...

I think about visiting my Great Granpa Roberts (below) and he had the coolest old truck and a neat cellar. And my Great Uncle who always found a penny behind my ear.

Birthday cards with pieces of gum in them, Erica and I riding our bikes to Amaco and around the block. (it was safe enough then) Climbing to the top of our tree and being able to see all of Smithville for miles. Walking up the hill behind our house and finding "treasure" and some really old graves. Hide and seek at night in the woods, playing wiffle ball with all of our cousins. laying on our deck and staring at all the stars and just thinking about life. Riding horses bareback through the pond. (still do ) Exploring old barns, picking strawberries with the warm sun on your back (eating them as we go) I could go on for a long time, really...
So I keep all of these memories with me and someday I'll share them with my children. Meanwhile I too will try to make memories with my own children and like kierra said, not worry so much about the house and other little things.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

nice post. Nice memories. I love remembering things I haven't thought about in a while -- especially of my childhood memories.

Guhn said...

SECURITY CENTER: See Please Here