Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shatto Milk Company

Sorry my picture is blurry!

Talk about the best milk around! I don't even like milk, but I will drink this milk because it's like drinking a milk shake! For those of you not familiar with Shatto Milk, it's a locally owned dairy farm , just north of plattsburg, that produces milk with NO ADDED HORMONES and sells it in the area grocery stores. It's at HyVee and Country Marts around the area.

Here is where I'm going with this story...

So today we went to my Grandma's farm up in trimble today to pick up some plants she had bought us for the garden, and while we were there the Paradise Meat Locker called and needed 20 dozen eggs for their shop. (she raises free range chickens and then sells her eggs to whoever wants them. It's always just been a hobby for her. Let me know if you ever want fresh eggs)
So as we were leaving we took the crates and delivered them for her. Well when I pulled up, there was the Ford Truck with SHATTO MILK COMPANY on it with fresh milk in his coolers in the back of his pickup. I went inside and introduced myself to Leroy Shatto and told him whose daughter I was...(everyone knows the Smith family up in those parts.) He went to school with my dad and all his brothers. It was great to finally meet him since I've always heard about him from my uncles and we've passed by his farm several times when helping my uncle move cattle. So I mentioned that we would be up this summer to tour the farm with the kids. I offered him some eggs , but he said his wife didn't cook. Bummer for him. Then he offered me some Fresh Shatto Milk...a Chocolate pint and the new one, Cotton Candy. That just made my day! If you have never tried Shatto Milk, you are missing out!

And, since it comes in glass bottles ( which totally just makes it taste better and colder) you can trade them everytime you go to the store for a 1.50 credit towards your next one!

So there you have it. I've mentioned where to get fresh milk and fresh eggs, the meat locker has fresh meat...What else do you need?

6 comments:

RitterB's said...

I didnt know you were so famous!?!? Many am I glad I am your friend!
So I totally agree with you about the milk. I am not a milk drinker. Our family is lucky to use one gallon in a week. But when I bring home the Shatto Milk we drink it like water! Cotton Candy sounds Dandy! I am a Rootbear flavored fan my self.
Lets take a day trip together with the kids to the farm... Whatta say?!?!
See you tomorrow night!

KC Kanenwishers said...

I'm a huge Shatto fan. We go thru it faster then water when we have it. Hey...I would love some fresh eggs so hook me up and let me know how much they are! My mom has always had chickens and so I grew up with fresh eggs all the time. I still can't wrap my brain around store bought eggs but I have to because I'm not in the "know" with all the farmers!

Amber said...

I'm all for the day trip up there. We can stop by the farm too and get you some fresh eggs. WE can even make the kids go gather them all up!

Cheryl. I can get you some eggs next time I'm up there...

See you all tonight!

Catherine said...

Dude, you better not go to the Shatto place without me! Sounds like we need to schedule a date there -- and since you're famous around these parts, you need to hook us up sista! (I've heard that getting a "reservation" for a tour can be a little hard b/c they get booked up)

Thanks for sharing the treats with us tonight at the fundraiser . . .

McAtee Family said...

Hey there - so I met Leroy a while back and went up and took the girls on a tour. It is fantastic! The point of this is that before we went, I called Leroy and let him know that we were coming. During the part of the tour where you feed the baby cows, the two newest cows had been named Sophie and Haley. We have a pic. of each girl with their cow. Sophie was to young to understand, but Haley was so excited that she got to feed Baby Cow Haley a bottle of milk.

So, be sure to ask if they can name the baby cows for you before you come.

Sam Ransom said...

So I still haven't tried this famous milk. Guess I need to get with it! I would love to join the tour. I know Sariah is too young to really enjoy it, but I think I would have fun just the same! Let me know when you go!