Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fishing Woes

I bet most of you didn't know that I am a fisherman (woman)! I learned to fish with my grandpa and my dad at Darcy's age and now I get to take her fishing with me. It is just the best to share stories with her and that she understands! Now, every Summer, My Dad, and my Uncle from Texas (he and his little boy come to grandma's farm for the summer every year) and myself create new fishing stories to tell. In fact, it is so comical that I'm pretty sure we could write a book with all the stories we could tell. Here are some from this week...

Last Friday night: Fished at the pond, caught some nice bass, had a ball watching Darcy cast her line. She's getting pretty good.

Saturday: Since the kids and I spent the night at the farm, we went fishing the next morning and afternoon. What a beautiful day! We went to the bridge (creek off of the lake) fishing for catfish. It was hot and my cousin was bored, so my little cousin Braden (10) wanted to play sherades (sp?). He's pretty good! Played game, Caught a pretty Blue Catfish, Took kids back to grandma's for nap, Went Back to the Bridge and my uncle had hooked a turtle that was swimming by in the tail. He told me to lift the rod, there was something on it...That was the biggest turtle I have ever seen! And I've seen some big turtles! This one's back feet were as big as my hands!!! We couldn't get him in and he ended up getting away.

Later that afternoon: Went to Grandma's newer pond. We've been stocking that pond for probably 7 years now. Never really fished it yet, so we made the walk, and carried our Blue Catfish in the bucket to release him in this pond. We threw in some minnows to so we could fish while we were out there. Release the fish, Uncle dumps water from bucket. Oops. There went our minnows. Crap. Use other rod that has a lure on it. Cast it out, Reeling it in, BAM! Huge Fish! That fish took off with my lure within 5 seconds and broke my line! DANGIT! We didn't take our tackle box out there with us. What kind of fisherman are we!? There are some big fish in this pond. I'll be back.

Monday Night: Dad called me tuesday to tell me this. My dad was fishing in our usual pond and said they were catching bass and croppie as soon as you threw out your line. Well as Michelle reeled in her line and almost had her little fish to the shore, BAM! A Snake Jumps from the water, grabs her fish, takes it down under to the moss....for what, I don't know....and is back within 45 seconds waiting for another! If that would have been me, I might have had a heart attack! He's yelling up to the barn at my uncle "Bring the gun, Bring the Gun" Michelle is screaming, Uncle brings the Gun, shoots snake, Stretches it out and is probably a 3 foot snake. Not poisonous though since his eyes were round! My dad was laughing so hard trying to tell the story, I didn't think he would be able to finish it! He said no exaggeration, they caught 30 fish a piece that night. That's a good fishing night.

Wednesday Night: Darcy and I headed to the farm to fish. We went to a new pond this time that we hadn't yet fished on some property my other uncle leases. That uncle was Mowing with the tractor, so Darcy jumped in with him, while Myself and Fishing Uncle, KC, went fishing...We were just using worms and a cork to see what was out there. We didn't know what to fish for. BAM! Nice Catfish! I probably caught 6 2-3 pound catfish. And I think my uncle only fell off the log and into the pond once...And we only tangled our lines two times. And I only found 2 ticks on me...I hate ticks. I think my record is 22 though, after mushroom hunting a few years back... We'll definitely be back to this pond...

So that's our Fishing Woes from this week. I'm sure there will be more to come...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

soooo jealous!!! I miss your Grandma's farm already. THose sound like such GOOD times. Keep the farm/fishing stories coming!!