Wednesday, July 30, 2008

God's Country

I am a real nature girl. When I get busy or stressed out, all I have to do is be outside and garden, or ride horses, or fish and I'm all better again.
So yesterday, I wasn't busy and my uncle (beef cattle farmer) called to see if we wanted to go to Kingston and check cattle with him. Of course we did! The kids loved every minute of it. We loaded the horses, the four wheeler, and the mineral for the cattle and off we went. It's just so great to relax and drive through farm country! We stopped in Polo to eat at a hole in the wall place, good though. The kids had a blast riding the four wheeler and horses, checking cattle and putting out mineral. Darcy is getting to be a good little rider and wants to Team Pen this year. I'm so excited for that!
On the way home we decided to stop by Shatto Milk Company farm and see some cows and of course get some milk! I think my new favorite is Banana. Great in Cereal!
Darcy really enjoyed petting the baby Calves and seeing how the milk comes from the cow and eventually gets to the bottle. She was very fascinated by this.
We asked lots of questions and here is what we found out. Let's just say I wouldn't want the job... They are running 189 cows right now that have to be milked twice a day. (after seeing their full bags, I totally know how they feel! Poor things!) They have 12 milking machines. They start at 4 a.m. and if it's a good day, they are done by 9:30 a.m. Then they do it again at 4 p.m. and done by 9:30 p.m. 365 days a year. That is a lot of work! They said they were averaging 5 1/2 gallons per milking, per cow. give or take. That's 2079 gallons a day! You can finish doing all the math. That is a lot of milk. This was very educational for all of us!

We had a great day of farming, the kids were completely worn out, but they learned a lot! I really wish I would have had my camera....

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

wow! your life is what i want mine to be like! someday...