Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Apples,Apples,Apples




Well, so far this year, I've put up strawberries, sweet corn, ocra, green beans, tomatoes, and now it's time for the Apples! My grandma called last week and said the apples were ready at her neighbors and asked how many bushels I wanted. Bushels is what I said...That's a lot of apples. So I said I'll take 2 bushels. I've never made applesauce or anything so I didn't know what to get. Well I went and got 2 more bushels yesterday! (only $10 per bushel!) I've been busy making applesauce, apple jelly, and canned apple pie filling. My mom's been making the apple butter. Fresh applesauce tastes so yummy! And the apple pie filling I could eat by itself! I'm so fortunate to have fresh food available to buy and can myself. I am so tired of wasting money on the stuff at the store that has no taste! It will all taste so yummy over the winter.

So what else can I do with all of these apples? Apples will keep well in the basement or garage where it's cool. I also want to try apple bread , apple cake, dried apples, cinnamon apples.....what else....
If I go back to get more apples, let me know if you want some!

We did go to Weston last week to pick some apples. It was fun to let the kids pick them themselves, but I'll tell ya, Josh found a worm in his apple we got from there and they charge $20 for a 1/2 bushel! I guess you pay for the atmosphere and it was fun, but I'll stick to getting my apples from our farmer friends...

6 comments:

RitterB's said...

I would LOVE to purchase a couple of bushels from your farmer friend! Will you please teach me how to can apple pie filling.. I wanted to last year but didnt have the courage. I was worried I would mess it all up!

KC Kanenwishers said...

Me too! Let's get together and make apple stuff! Can we get apples too?
Every year I get burned by the costs out in Weston and if I actually bought enough to can, they would cost twice as much as buying them from the grocery store.

Amber said...

That is why I've bought so many! You cannot beat the cost! It is really easy to make the apple pie filling. I made a pie last night and Josh was impressed! I'll ask my grandma when we can get some. Maybe tommorrow afternoon I can run up there, or Saturday. I'll call and make sure they still have plenty. Kierra, you want 2 bushels, Cheryl, how many do you want!?

RitterB's said...

I would like to make at least 12 quarts of pie filling... Will 2 bushels be enough?

Amber said...

I made 7 quarts last night and that was one batch of pie filling by the recipe...It took probably 35apples. A bushel is a round laundry basket full. So you could make plenty more of applesauce, apple butter etc. These apples will keep well in the basement too for awhile...

Lindsey said...

i want a few bushels too! it would probably be cheaper to get them from your grandma's friends nad ship them to dallas than for me to buy them here!!! wow! i'll trade you some peach and strawberry jam for wsome apple butter? :)