Thursday, January 8, 2009

Old into New

Here is my first project of 2009! I love projects, and once I start, there's no stopping until I'm done. I have wanted a kitchen island for a while now. I love the openness of my kitchen, but I have figured out that it would be nice to have a little more workspace. So, I couldn't find what I wanted. Kept looking, didn't want a kitchen "Cart", or something that nailed to the floor and I just couldn't find any pieces of furniture that I liked that I could redo.

It was one of those nights, in the midle of the night sitting and rocking Zach, when the light bulb came on! His changing table (which does not serve as a great dresser for clothes) was the perfect size! And it sits off the ground so it can be moved if I wanted to move it! After finally convincing Josh to help me carry it to the kitchen, I got started!
Here it is before I started...
The back was not finished so I attached a piece of beadboard...
Lots of sanding, and then gray primer, since it was going to be red...


Wahlah! It's almost finished...(it looks pink, I promise it's not...)


New Hardware...

Now, here is where I need a little help. I'm going to get a piece of Granite for the top. Something to contrast nicely with my other countertops since I can't match it. I want to glaze over the red to make it look a little more aged. Shauna the paint queen said she would help me...
So what do I do with the feet? Do I do a dark brown, or something to match the top when I get it? Or Red, or ......I need suggestions please!
I can't wait to get a top! I am going to try this one place in Lenexa that sells granite slabs...Does anyone know of anywhere else to get granite pieces!?



7 comments:

KC Mom said...

Great job!! I like the dark look! Can't wait to see it!

RitterB's said...

Great idea!!! I love it! How about black for the feet?!?!

Farrah said...

AWESOME! I love what you did. I would paint the feet the same color as the knobs.

McAtee Family said...

It looks great - I would go dark on the feet (distressed black would look good). Try TopMaster, Graniteworks and Midland Marble.

When you go, ask if they have any left over pieces - sometimes they will give you the small piece for cheap or even free (they are left over from large installs) and you will only have to pay to have it cut.

Catherine said...

Very cool, Amber. You are so good at building and creating stuff. I'm impressed.

Lori said...

Looks awesome! I agree with the others that the feet should be black like your hardware. Also, Midland, Granite and Tile off from North Oak and 152 Hwy is the first place I would check. Never thought to ask for scraps, but that might just help you save some money.

Sam Ransom said...

I LOVE that!! I wish my kitchen was big enough for one! I agree with the previous comments. Try to match the feet to the hardware. Wow!! Way to repurpose!!