Friday, June 19, 2009

What a Week!

The first half of our vacation...
The kids and I , along with my Mom and Grandma, Headed to Birmingham Alabama last week to see family and sights that I haven't seen in a VERY long time. As a matter of fact, probably before I had kids was the last time I have seen some of these fun people! Those of you that know my grandma "gigi", multiply the fun with all her siblings and it's a comedy show! We had fun telling stories around a Lantern because all the power was out. Those were some crazy storms down there and when you are in Haleyville,AL, (aka. middle of nowhere...This is where my grandma grew up and her brother Johnny still lives) It gets spooky! But we were all at My Great Uncle Johnny's home and had a ball listening to some great stories. A Cousin of mine , Robin, whom I'd never met (Hi Robin! I know you'll be reading this...) Had so much in common with us it was unbelievable! She has my dream home on 12 acres in Tennessee and does all kinds of gardening and food storage as I do! It was fun getting to know her and sharing ideas!

We headed to Russellville, Al, where I went to kindergarten and did some sight seeing. As a kid I always thought it was boring when my parents would drive around and say " look that is where I grew up, or that's where I used to..." Now I've officially started doing that with my kids and I love it! Now my kids can be bored doing that for now.

We went to Moulton, Al where my grandpa and uncle are buried. We went to see a lot of graves while we there because My mom and I are so into doing our geneology. It was really neat to document all of those sights with my kids in the pictures so that I can pass that along to them later in life. In my church we can do baptisms for the dead, and how neat it was to go see the headstones of some of the people I have already done!

It was so interesting, spiritual , thoughtful and more for us to cover ground where we had been before with previous family members who no longer walk with us. It brought back a lot of memories and I think it's neat to see and think about past chapters of our life, good and bad.

Back to Haleyville we went to meet up with more relatives that came to town to meet up with us. Haleyville is the founding town of the 911 service that we use. Can you believe that!? A tiny, tiny, town of all places...Anyway, there was a festival going on (2nd Sunday of June, always) to celebrate the 911 founding. That was a good time. We walked the square and saw the monument to people that died in war. My Grandma's brother is honored on that plaque. Once again, thankful that I could visit this...

People in the south know how to decorate graves! I've never seen such beautiful flower arrangements on every grave! We decorated graves and went to church on sunday before we headed out for the second half of our trip...

Okay, now for some pictures...
Us with my great uncle johnny. He has the cutest darn house in the country with horses! You can see every star in the sky out there!


From the Right: Laura (gigi's sister) Grandma, My mom, Cousin Patsy (eileen's daughter) Johnny (gigi's brother) Eileen (gigi's sister ) and Ray(husband of Eileen)










4 comments:

Frosty said...

When I read the part about geneology, my mind immediately went back to Primary and the Geneology song. "Geneology I am doing it, my geneology..." How awesome for you to see relatives you have done temple work for!

This bears repeating, your kids are so stinkin' cute!

KC Mom said...

That looks like an awesome trip...and important too. It's so good to see loved ones and gather any info you can on geneology. I'm glad you had a great time.

Shauna said...

What a priceless trip! So glad you went you will never regret it. These are the important things in life.

Robin said...

You got me! I'm definitely reading! Great to get to see all your pics. Glad you all made it back safely.