Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Coming Together!

My home town is getting bigger but it still has that small town feel! Recently a friend of the family (or whole town for that matter!) had a life changing incident and is now paralyzed from the waist down. 1 month before that her husband had lost his job. I have been pondering this a lot lately and wondering why this has happened to the nicest family you would ever meet. This is a family that grew up in the town and treats Everyone as their best friends. The only conclusion I've come up with so far is that maybe it's to give the people around her, a chance to serve them. We are given trials without knowing why to test our faith. It is testing this family tremendously but I have no doubt that they will come through it just great!

Today we went to the pizza hut there in Smithville because they are donating 20% of the proceeds to this family. Everyone has on these great Hot Pink Shirts that say "Team Shauna" on them. (I will post picks after I go back for dinner) The feeling and spirit of watching a community come together for a family is amazing. What a fabulous feeling I've had being around all this kindness! I encourage you to go for dinner if you have no other plans!

Also, a HUGE benefit is being put on this Saturday (see below) There will be pony rides, face painting and a HUGE silent auction with things such as chiefs tickets, a side of beef (raffle) donated by a local farmer, and many other things. There will be Fabulous Food (mexican ) as well! Please Join and watch how a community comes together for a cause!

Let's all pull together for Shauna Martinez!
Location:American Legion
Time:2:00PM Saturday, August 22nd

4 comments:

KC Mom said...

I don't know why some have trials that seem too hard to bear either. But I think you may be right.
A worthy cause to support!

Frosty said...

It goes 'til 11PM, this is fantastic! We'll be late, but we'll be there. Our youngest is getting baptized Saturday night, but we can celebrate at this wonderful event!

I'll pass the word along.

McAtee Family said...

Thanks for sharing - I have seen signs around town for this, but wasn't sure what it was about.

abbycarlson said...

This is why we love Smithville!
:)