Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kindergarten!


So today is the day that I've thought about since last year at this time when I saw kids getting on the bus...Today is Darcy's first day of Kindergarten!
In Darcy's words as we headed to the grocery store saturday , " This is the BEST time of my life! I get to start school!" This IS a whole new chapter in a child's life. Starting school IS a big deal! I'm am now the mom (and ex-kindergarten teacher ) that is beginning to understand what My mom has understood since she became a mom and what other moms felt like dropping their kids in my class. I feel like I'm being inducted into a new chapter of the Mom's Club. And this is just kindergarten. This is a BIG step for me, letting her leave the safety of our home everyday for 7 hours. My fears for her is what scares me. What if she get hurt and I'm not there, or she's hungry or someone hurts her feelings or blah, blah , blah. I know theses are lessons they must learn to make them stronger. But our children get to come home to their haven every afternoon and discuss their day. I guess we start out with the small steps of going to school and the steps get bigger as our kids get older. I'm grateful for the small steps, even though it feels huge. So my next step will be to let her ride the bus. Give me a few weeks...

I had my mom breakdown moment last thursday after back to school night. Got it all out. We as moms are entitled to those moments. How can I not be excited for her! She is Thrilled to go to school. I'm thrilled too, just a tad sad. She will LOVE school. She has a love for learning and meeting new people, helping others, pleasing others. I'm so grateful for all the qualities in my little girl!
Today I am holding it together better than I thought! I get to have alone time with Zach now. She was totally excited and a little nervous. Once we got to the classroom though her big smile came!
Happy first day of School to my Little girl!





8 comments:

McAtee Family said...

I was thinking of you this morning - good luck! I am scared to send Haley to 1st grade tomorrow and I have already had a whole year's practice. It is so scary to send our babies off.

Sam Ransom said...

I can't believe she is that old. But she looks super sassy and cute! Definately a perfect first day of school outfit!

Shauna said...

i am a mess!! bawling my eyes out a mess!! i might just home school! a mess i am a mess. she looks adorable, i am so not ready for them to be gone all day.

Amber said...

I'll make something sugary next week and you can come straight over after you drop them off!

KC Mom said...

You guys are so stinkin' cute. I don't know that I've ever put on make-up and brushed my hair to take my kids to school!! Ha! Maybe the newness wore off!
I can hardly believe she's old enough for school. She looks absolutely ready though.

Frosty said...

These are great pictures. She looks SO ready to be on her own at school. I'm glad her first day was a success. :)

Catherine said...

Whoop Whoop! You did it! It's so WEIRD, isn't it? Having your oldest start Kindergarten? She's growing up so cute and independent!

Amber said...

It is weird but at the same time kind of nice to have time with just zach. It's funny the things that I now understand...Why my mom used to grill me about school...I grill Darcy because I'm missing 7 hours of her day! I have to know what she's doing!